Ranking the best rap albums of 2022

It was a great year for hip hop

Image by: Amna Rafiq
Both mainstream and underground rap thrived.

2022 gave us a lot of great music—especially rap. For this music connoisseur, however, five albums rose above their competition as the best the year had to offer by combining exceptional production, personality, and, of course, excellent song writing. 

Number five: King’s Disease III by Nas

The king was alive and well in 2022. 

Nas and producer Hit-Boy concluded their trilogy on a high with King’s Disease III, bringing their impassioned “‘A-game”’ to their penultimate collaborative effort. It’s somehow bigger, better, and more exciting than it’s high-quality predecessors. 

As to be expected, Nas is clever, insightful, and determined on the album. He’s not trying to re-create Illmatic anymore—instead, he’s positioned himself as the rap game’s elder statesman, demanding respect while imparting wisdom. 

Had it not been for a few weaker songs in the second half of the track list, King’s Disease III might have placed even higher on this year-end list.  

Number four: The Elephant Man’s Bones by Roc Marciano & The Alchemist 

Dark, dusty, with sprinkles of jazz—what more could you want? 

On The Elephant Man’s Bones, Roc Marciano and The Alchemist cook up a chilling cocktail that becomes more engrossing with every listen.  

Marciano is slick and mean, captivating the listener without ever breaking a sweat over some eerie, low-key production. “Zig Zag Zig” might feature the best beat of the year, and Boldy James and Action Bronson give excellent features on “Trillion Cut” and “Daddy Kane,”, respectively. 

Don’t miss this one if you’re a fan of Griselda-type rap.

Number three: Mr. Morale and the Big Steppers by Kendrick Lamar 

Welcome to therapy with Kendrick Lamar. 

The lack of club bangers on Lamar’s long-awaited successor to 2017’s DamAMNn. Was sure to disappoint some listeners, but that doesn’t make this album any less of an artistic statement. He made the album he needed to make—one his audience didn’t know they needed.  

Mr. Morale is Lamar’s most personal work to date as he powerfully dismantles his own ego, so-called daddy issues, infidelity, and family trauma. “Father Time,”, “Mother I Sober,”, and “The Heart Part 5” are some of the best tracks on the album. 

Not every musical experiment on this album works. The inclusion of Kodak Black and the language used on “Auntie Diaries” deserve criticism. Nonetheless, Kendrick Lamar’s 2022 silenced all who doubted he still had it in him to make great, courageous music.  

Number two: Cheat Codes by Black Thought & Danger Mouse 

Combining these two was, well, a cheat code. 

Black Thought’s lyrical prowess is on full display over a collection of lush instrumentals assembled by the legendary producer. Together, they’ve created a rich listen packed to the brim with songs unlike anything else in the genre. 

“Aquamarine” is uplifting and inspiring. “Belize” is the soundtrack to a scuzzy jazz bar, featuring a great verse from the late MF Doom. “Strangers” is an energized posse cut that somehow fits A$AP Rocky and Run The Jewels together on the same song. 

This is an album for fans of all music, not just rap. 

Number one: The Forever Story by J.I.D.

What else can be said about this album? 

Dreamville’s J.I.D finally followed up on 2018’s fantastic DiCaprio 2 mixtape with his biggest and boldest album yet. Through amazing penmanship, varied production, and some surprisingly great singing, the Atlanta rapper delivered a thoughtful ode to family.  

“Raydar” might be J.I.D’s craziest song ever; the beat-switch at its mid-point is sure to get the mosh pits spinning at his shows. Meanwhile, on “Kody Blu 31,” he slows things down to hypnotize listeners with his angelic—and much-improved—vocal chops.  

The album perfectly balances his technical and melodic sensibilities. “Dance Now,”, “Crack Sandwich,”, and “Surround Sound,” are high-energy and lyrical, while “Bruddanem,”, “Sistanem,”, and “Better Days” are soothing and powerful. 

Keep this album in rotation forever. It’s that good.

Kendrick Lamar, Music, Nas, rap