2021 U Sports Women’s Rugby Championships: Round one recap

Gee-Gees, Vikes, Rouge et Or, and Gaels move into winning bracket for Friday’s semis

Image by: Curtis Heinzl
Gaels' star Sophie de Goede steals the ball from the Thunderbirds during a line-out.

Game 1—uOttawa Gee-Gees vs St. FX X-Women

The first game of the tournament, Wednesday’s 11 a.m. matchup between the uOttawa Gee-Gees and St. FX X-women saw more than a clash of jersey colours. Laying on the pressure early, the Gee-Gees trotted up and down the pitch for the first half, establishing a 22-0 lead just 11 minutes into the game—something that would eventually prove insurmountable for the X-Women, as the Gee-Gees would close the door on the Nova Scotians shortly into the second half, despite them two hard-fought tries before the final whistle blow.

Final Score: 40-12 Gee-Gees.

Game 2—Guelph Gryphons vs UVic Vikes

Despite winning the OUA Championship just last week, the Guelph Gryphons had their wings clipped by University of Victoria Vikes at 2 p.m. this Wednesday. Although the Gryphons struck first—nabbing a try just a few minutes into the first half—they didn’t strike last, as the Vikes came back with two more tries to put them up ahead by halftime. Although Guelph attempted a valiant comeback, marked by another try, the Vikes had the last laugh. They recorded the final try of the game four minutes before the end of regulation, punching their ticket for a semi-final match against the Gee-Gees on Friday.

Final Score: 21-10 Vikes.

Game 3—Acadia Axewomen vs Laval Rouge et Or

Wednesday’s third outing was a clash of titans, one that ultimately ended in the defeat of Acadia by the reigning U Sports Champions. Though the final score implies a decisive victory, the beginning of the match was anything but uncompetitive. At the call for halftime, the Axewomen were the leading 12-10. It was only after the Rouge et Or struck gold in the second half, by scoring five unanswered tries that they sealed their win for entry into the semi-finals.

Final score: 40-12 Rouge et Or

Game 4—Queen’s Gaels vs. UBC Thunderbirds

Despite playing under the blinding lights of Nixon field, none shined brighter than the Gaels on Wednesday night, who—after suffering a heartbreaking loss against the Guelph Gryphons in the OUA Finals last week—came back to crack lighting at the then-undefeated Thunderbirds at 7:30 p.m. Catching an early lead, the Gaels sat into a comfortable groove before the T-Birds came back in force, tying the game at 26-26 apiece with less than 10 minutes left in the game. Yet, with the game on the line, the Gaels cracked some skulls and scored two more tries to seal the win. They advance to the semi-finals against Laval on Friday at 7:30 p.m.

Final Score: 33-26 Gaels.

All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to journal_editors@ams.queensu.ca.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Queen's Journal

© All rights reserved.

Back to Top
Skip to content