Please don’t turn on your radio. You might be subjected to the terrible, terrible sounds of the Christmas carol. Take my advice, download these songs, make adorable personalized CDs and give them to your friends—I wouldn’t lead you astray. These Christmas picks will allow you to be festive and alternative at the same time. Who could ask for anything more?
1. Ron Sexsmith — Maybe This Christmas
2. Billy Bragg — Cold and Bitter Tears
3. Arcade Fire — Jingle Bell Rock
4. Yo La Tengo — It’s Christmas Time
5. The Pogues — Fairytale of New York
6. Bob Dylan — Must Be Santa
7. Sufjan Stevens — Come On! Let’s Boogey To The Elf Dance!
8. Radiohead — Winter Wonderland
9. Dave n’ Megan — I Wanna Kiss You This Christmas
10. Bright Eyes — Blue Christmas
11. Feist — Lo, How A Rose E’re Blooming
12. Jason Collett — A Beguiled Christmas in Sales
13. Rufus Wainwright — Spotlight On Christmas
14. The Beatles — Christmastime (Is Here Again)
15. Blitzen Trapper — Christmas Is Coming Soon
16. Litterbug — It’s Christmas Time
17. Burquitlam Plaza — Christmas Wish
18. Dan Bryk — Love Me for Christmas
19. Paper Moon — I Hope It’s Something Good
20. Eels — Christmas is Going to the Dogs
21. Belle and Sebastian — O Come, O Come Emmanuel
22. Ryan Adams — Hey Parker, It’s Christmas
23. Tom Waits — Silent Night
24. Evangelicals — The Last Christmas On Earth
25. The Walkmen — No Christmas While I’m Talking
26. Weezer — Christmas Song
27. The Black Halos — Homeless For Christmas
28. Hot Hot Heat — Christmas Day in the Sun
29. Young and Sexy — Santa Likes Rich Kids Better
30. Hawksley Workman — Merry Christmas, I love you!
If I’ve forgotten any essentials, post them!
All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.