ASUS executive Team Eric & Dave propose anti-nepotism policy

Team plans to restructure ASUS interview process for fairness and equity

Image supplied by: Supplied by candidates
ASUS hopefuls Dave and Eric

Arts and Science Undergraduate Society (ASUS) executive candidates Eric Nicol and David Bath are looking to revamp ASUS into an association that “works for everyone.”

The two third-year political studies majors are running on a platform that prioritizes anti-nepotism, community building, equity and sexual assault resource accessibility.

In an interview with The Journal, Vice-Presidential candidate Bath said, “we want to represent the average student with us…we’re not trying to [have] some kind of superiority complex…I understand what you want because I’m [also] a student of Arts and Science.”

This notion of equality manifests itself in what the team categorizes as their “hard-hitting” anti-nepotism policy.

“We’re committed, if elected, to have University officials conduct our interviews, and give us the transcripts anonymously with all specifics blacked out,” Presidential candidate Nicol said.

“If we were to be elected, that would be a moment where students realize that something’s different… [that] things that have caused kids to not get engaged, we’ll say that’s not happening anymore.”

Beyond vowing to tackle nepotism in an effort to facilitate engagement in student government, Team Eric & Dave hope to breathe new life into the ASUS interview process. It’s something they believe lacks “engagement.”

“I just don’t think people know who they’re interviewing, and then I don’t think candidates know what positions they’re accepting,” Nicol said, adding he attributes students either leaving or not excelling in positions to the limited interview format.

Branching out from an internal restructuring of ASUS practices, the team hopes to foster a sense of community amongst Arts and Science students with faculty-specific denim jackets.

“We would start the year off involving the DSC presidents and telling them…to ask their program what they want their jacket design to look like,” Nicol said. “It’s a cool way to represent yourself, it’s just a pride in something you’re spending four years doing.”

Nicol and Bath are also hoping to enhance students’ knowledge on issues regarding equity, with the introduction of a fact-based course that “illustrates… that life is really different for people of different ethnicities, at Queen’s especially.”

The team’s final point of focus is ensuring that survivors and victims of sexual assault have access to appropriate services in an efficient and timely manner.

“We really believe that a sexual assault resource centre centralized on the Queen’s campus is really important,” Nicol said. “Right now, Kingston and Queen’s [do] provide services. They’re just fragmented… [and] not necessarily in the public knowledge.”

“[The centre] is an institution which shows students that Queen’s… [is] facing the issue head-on…saying, ‘we are here to protect you, we want you to feel safe on this campus and in this community.’”

Asus, candidates, Elections