Athletes of the Week

Melissa John

women’s hockey

This past weekend was a successful one for the women’s hockey team, with much of the credit belonging to goalie Melissa John.

John played an integral role in the Gaels’ wins over the Laurier Golden Hawks and the Waterloo Warriors. She saved a total of 65 shots over the weekend, allowing only one goal.

John said the goal, which came in the third period of the team’s 4-1 win over Waterloo, was avoidable.

“It was a shorthanded goal, which always sucks to have. It was unfortunate how it ended up,” she said.

“Two games is a little early to call it a hot streak, but I’m hoping to carry it into next weekend,” she added. “We’re undefeated in 2008, and it’s nice that we’re kind of peaking right now.”

Since returning from the winter break, the women’s hockey team has a record of 4-0-3.

John, who was also named the CIS athlete of the week Wednesday, sports a 1.86 goals against average and a .930 save percentage in 13 games.

Head coach Rob Lalonde said John toughed it out during an illness earlier this year and has made an admirable recovery.

“She played extremely well. I’ve always had a lot of confidence in our goaltending.” John started both games this past weekend because fellow goalie Katie Boyd was out of town.

The 10-8-6 women are ranked fourth in the OUA with three games remaining.

—Scott Turcotte

Brady Olsen
men’s hockey

The men’s hockey team holds first place in the OUA Mid-East division, largely due to Brady Olsen’s play this past week.

Last Wednesday at Royal Military College the Gaels were down 2-0 in the second period. Olsen scored two goals in the period, eventually obtaining a hat trick by the third to lead the Gaels to a comeback victory.

Olsen, who is third in the CIS with goals, said his play has improved from last season when he led the team in scoring.

“I feel this year’s been better than the previous year. I wanted a year similar to my second year and it’s been pretty close to that.”

Coach Brett Gibson said he’s impressed with Olsen this year.

“This year he’s … really been a catalyst for us,” Gibson said. “His confidence is at an all-time high, and I would say he is one of the top five forwards in the division.”

The Gaels lost to the University of Toronto on Friday and defeated Carleton on Saturday. Olsen didn’t make a mark on the stat sheet, but he made a difference behind the scenes, Gibson said.

“You don’t have to score goals to be important to the team,” Gibson said. “Brady Olsen is a special kid, and is an enjoyment to coach.”

Olsen has 28 points this season, with the team’s record currently at 12-11-0. With playoffs just around the corner the Gaels should be a force to be reckoned with, and Olsen will be one player to keep an eye on.

—Scott Turcotte