Campus security reports increased thefts, break and enters in University district

Kingston crime mapping tool shows rash of reported incidents

Approx. 34 reported incidents of theft

From Aug. 27 to Sept. 26, there were 39 incidents of thefts and break-and-enters reported in the University District from Stuart St. to Queen St.

In the month of August, there were approximately 34 reported incidents in the same area.

While there wasn’t a significant surge in thefts and break-and-enters in the district from August to September, the Kingston Police’s crime mapping 

tool shows the reported incidents are more centralized to the western portion of the University District, along Johnson St.

Following an increase in students complaining of thefts and break-and-enters online, campus security tweeted a statement on Sept. 23. 

“Campus Security and Emergency Services wishes to advise the campus community of an increase in late night breaking & entering of houses in the University District. Some of these reports indicate that the tenants were home at the time.”

Campus Security advised any students who witness suspicious activity in the University District to call Kingston Police at 613-549-4660, extension 2244, to file a report. 

break and enter, Campus security, theft, University District