Clubs office to perform bi-weekly space audits

Clubs Director says new shift will ‘keep clubs in the know’

Queen's Clubs Office in the JDUC.

Starting this fall, the Queen’s Clubs office will be performing bi-weekly space audits of club space to ensure groups cooperate with regulations. 

The shift will mark an increase in audits from the former monthly routine.

According to AMS Clubs Director Regina Codera, in past years, audits have been “more infrequent.” She told The Journal in an interview its “something that will be changing.”

Codera explained the reason for space audits is “to keep clubs in the know of what’s going on and to make sure clubs are staying accountable for the space that they are given.” 

“As we are so limited in space, it’s important that those clubs that have a space are using it well, because a lot of our spaces are now shared,” Codera added.

Space auditing is a practice done in conjunction with the Clubs Office and the Student Life Centre (SLC). When audits occur, the assistant director of clubs and the SLC operations sustainability manager will be tasked with performing them.

“If we find that a club has left a space in disarray, or maybe it seems that they aren’t aware that they’re going to be sharing space in the fall, we’ll just send them a notice to make sure that its ready for the fall semester,” Codera said.

When asked what auditors will look for, Codera said “we just check in to make sure clubs are staying within regulations, making sure there’s no open food, making sure it’s in orderly fashion.”

Codera told The Journal that repercussions for disorderly clubs space would be handed out “on a warning basis.” 

Though clubs are only removed from a space in extreme circumstances prior to the allocation period, Codera said several disorderly audits could affect a clubs chance of being re-allocated space.

“If we find that after a couple of times, we’re still seeing the club isn’t listening to the notices, it can be detrimental to whether they’ll get space in the next space allocation period in the spring,” she said.

AMS, clubs, Space Audit