Crazy becomes normal

Rob Moir isn’t a stranger to Kingston and welcomes to university-life atmosphere

Rob Moir says he doesn’t fancy himself a comedian
Image by: Supplied

Rob Moir is walking a very fine line.

He said he’s proud of his first full-length album Places to Die, but remains humble at the same time.

“[The album] was unique, it was original and it didn’t just colour between lines,” he said. “I’m walking a very fine line without trying to sound arrogant.”

Moir has been touring since April to promote the album. He plans to continue to pour his heart out tonight at The Merchant.

“It’s been great to see the album get a bit of time to grow, and see people get it in their psyche as they talk about songs they like,” says Moir. “When you start to see your baby grow up a little bit in its first couple of months, it’s quite special.”

It’s been a wild ride for Moir, but he said his crazy career path now seems normal.

“Nothing seems crazy anymore,” Moir said. “Right now I’m staying at a hostel in Ottawa that is an old jail and it is supposed to be haunted.”

He’s shared the stage with other alternative musicians, like Frightened Rabbit and Frank Turner.

This alternative-folk singer is no stranger to Kingston, as he’s graced The Mansion with his presence multiple times before.

Returning to Kingston, he said, is a no-brainer.

“You students make [Kingston] a really nice place to stop by,” Moir said. “You have the combination of the school, artists that live there, old hippie types and I feel like it’s a very eclectic city for a small town.”

Originally from Toronto, Moir said he hopes many students from the Toronto area will come to his show.

“Toronto gets a lot grief, but I think it’s secretly because people are jealous they don’t live there,” Moir said. “I mean culturally … you’re talking about the whole world in one city.”

The CBC has praised Moir for his musical abilities, as well as his quick witted sense of humor when on stage.

“There’s the story I tell about playing concerts on the VIA Rail across Canada,” Moir said. “I was playing all my bummer breakup songs. It was Valentine’s Day. But I don’t fancy myself a comedian.”

The rumours of Moir being incredibly humble are true. He doesn’t toot his own horn, but certainly remains proud of his work to date.

“It’s not the best thing that ever happened,” Moir said, “but I do believe in it 100 per cent and that’s what has kept me on the road pushing it.”

Rob Moir will be playing The Merchant on Tuesday night at 9:30 p.m.

alternative, Music, Rob Moir, The Merchant