Ease perils of prostitution

Three Canadian prostitutes are lobbying for changes in the way Canada’s laws control the sex business, the Globe and Mail reported Oct. 6.

The women’s case aims to prove Canada’s current stance—prostitution isn’t technically illegal, but soliciting is—exacerbates the dangers of the sex trade. The women pioneering the case want to strike down laws that prohibit living off the avails of prostitution and establishing brothels.

Federal prosecutor Michael Morris said decriminalization could result in more women looking to prostitution as a career choice, while Laura Holland of the Aboriginal Women’s Action Network said she views prostitution as violence against women.

It’s impressive these three women have come so far in proposing such legislation. The long history of prostitution indicates the problem won’t disappear on its own unless action is taken.

Many choices in our society are illegal, yet commonly made. It’s naive to assume prostitution will vanish from streets if the act is considered criminal. It’s easy to say prostitutes should try harder to secure education or other employment, but that assumes a rosy view of these people’s situations. Often, prostitution is a last resort for those who have nothing to give but their bodies. The assertion that decriminalization could establish prostitution as a viable career choice is dubious.

Decriminalizing prostitution would minimize the harm that comes from dealing in a trade that happens away from the law’s protective eye. Prostitutes should have the safety net to call police if they run into trouble, rather than running from authorities.

Legislation would help those in the sex trade move towards basic rights to health and safety expected in any workplace. Enacting legislation doesn’t imply any moral stance on prostitution—choosing the term “decriminalization” over “legalization” has an important neutral connotation.

The assertion that prostitution is, in itself, an act of violence against women neglects to consider male prostitution. And the underground nature of the current sex trade likely results in more violence than decriminalization would invite.

A society is judged by how it cares for its weakest citizens. Decriminalizing prostitution in Canada would put be a step towards putting safety and control back in the hands of those who need it most.