Editors’ Note: Black History Month Issue

Thank you for reading our second ever Black History Month issue.

First proposed in Vol. 148 and put into action by Vol. 149 Editors in Chief Aysha Tabassum and Shelby Talbot, The Journal’s now-annual Black History Month issue is something the entire Vol. 150 staff felt passionate about continuing.

This issue features the work of four Black contributors. Their voices and creativity have given purpose and life to these pages. We’re incredibly grateful they felt comfortable working with us and are beyond excited to share the end product with you.

The Editors in Chief of Vol. 149 vowed only to move forward with this issue if Black contributors would be paid for their work. In Vol. 150, we built on this idea and created the BIPOC Contributor Pool to compensate our BIPOC contributors not only in February, but throughout the entire year. We’d like to express our gratitude to the careful financial planning of past Journal leadership and the AMS for making this possible.

Ultimately, the purpose of this issue is to uplift and celebrate the Black voices here at Queen’s while simultaneously drawing attention to the ever-prevalent racism and discrimination present at Queen’s, in Kingston, and in Canada as a whole.

Make no mistake: this is just another step in a long walk. We at The Journal recognize our privilege and the need for us to be honest advocates in the ongoing fight against racism and prejudice on campus and beyond. Our work has only just begun.

—Ben Wrixon & Julia Harmsworth

Editor in Chief and Managing Editor

journal_editors@ams.queensu.ca

black history month, Editor's Note