Female Athlete of the Week

Natalie Gray
Natalie Gray

Outside hitter Natalie Gray led the women’s volleyball team with 19 kills in the first-ever Gaels victory in the Queen’s Centre.

Although the team was behind after the first two sets, they pulled ahead in the third and won the next two, setting up a 15-11 victory in the final set. Gray said it was business as usual.

“I was just doing what I am supposed to be doing as an outside hitter,” the second-year Physical and Health Education student said. “I just had the sets from Julie [Lockwood] and luckily I was able to put them away.”

She said she thrives in high-pressure situations like Sunday’s two-set deficit.

“They’re the best games to play in. They’re the most fun, and a great environment to be in.”

The Gaels are 3-1 since after the holiday break and are tied for second in the OUA East with the York Lions. Grey said she attributes their recent success to a trip to Florida the team took over the break to compete in the Innisbrook Resort Invitational.

“We’re definitely improving since we went on the trip,” she said. “Our team really bonded.” Gray said a teacher turned her onto volleyball.

“When I was younger I had an elementary school teacher who was a coach at a local club,” she said. “She thought I should go out for the team, and I did, and I’ve been playing ever since.”

She said she sometimes finds it difficult to balance her athletic commitment and school work.

“It’s always a struggle,” she said. “We’ve had a lot of travelling and road trips so it’s kind of hard to fit in homework and travelling. Overall it’s not too bad, you just have to pull some late nights sometimes to get everything done.”