Gaels golden south of the border

Track and field collects 27 medals, 11 golds at St. Lawrence University Indoor Classic in Canton, New York

Last weekend the track and field team travelled to Canton, New York, to participate in the St. Lawrence University Indoor Classic, and came out glittering with 11 gold, eight silver and eight bronze medals.

The Gaels also enjoyed personal successes with 42 top-10 finishes. Michael Prime and Veronica Catry each won three gold medals. Leah Larocque won two gold medals, Jan Stirling and Michael Nishiyama picked up a gold each and both the men’s and women’s 4×200 relay teams picked up golds, as did the men’s 4×400 relay team. The women’s team picked up second place overall with 157 points and the men’s team clinched fourth place with 111. The hosts claimed first place overall in both men’s and women’s divisions.

Head coach Melody Torcolacci said the team’s aim at this meet was not to rack up team points, but to participate in specific areas of strength in order to prepare for the upcoming season.

“For distance it was the first meet of the year, and the sprint crew just keep clipping along,” she said. “We didn’t go to get team points. We put our athletes in events we wanted to do.”

“It’s a reflection on the fact that we have some really good people,” she said. “In some places the competition wasn’t as good as we would’ve liked, but not to take away from the performances, the times were good. We weren’t looking at medals though. Performances will tell the tale down the road.”

Torcolacci said her athletes’ strong showing at this meet bodes well for the upcoming season.

“They’re performing better than they were at this time last year,” she said. “Hopefully, come championships, we’ll do better than we did last year.”