Gaels secure ‘gritty win’ in U SPORTS quarterfinals

Women’s Basketball beats Citadins in overtime

Image by: Herbert Wang
Emma Weltz scored a game leading 29 points in Thursday's game.

The Queen’s Gaels aren’t scared of overtime.

Women’s Basketball played and won their first U SPORTS Final 8 Championship game on Thursday in Nova Scotia against the Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM) Citadins.

“I thought it was a gritty win. We weathered a lot of different storms throughout the game, and I thought we did a really good job of closing out the game and then taking care of business obviously in overtime,” Head Coach Claire Meadows said in a post-game interview with Athletics and Recreation.

The game was back-and-forth for all four quarters before ending in two-scoreless minutes that forced overtime.

Last year, Emma Weltz helped lead Gael’s national’s campaign. This year, she’s taken on a similar role with her persistent drives to the net, piercing through an otherwise impenetrable UQAM defense to earn her a game-high 29 points.

Bridget Mulholland’s performance also topped the sheet with a game-high 15 rebounds and 12 points, eight of which she scored during overtime. Her excellence under pressure reflects the consistency she’s showcased all season.

Even to the final seconds, it was anyone’s game. UQAM had the opportunity to tie it up in the final seconds of overtime, but Weltz stole the ball and ended the play 75-72.

Now, the Gaels are preparing for their semifinals game against the second-seeded Alberta Pandas on Saturday at 2 p.m. The game will be streamed live on the CBC website and YouTube channel. 

Emma Weltz, Final Four, nationals, Nova Scotia, playoffs, U Sports, women's basketball