Gaels weekend road round-up: week 15

Women’s hockey falters against first-seeded Gryphons

Queen's fell the Guelph
Image by: Matt Scace
Queen's fell the Guelph

Women’s hockey postponed against York after power outage, lose to Guelph

Coming off their biggest win of the season against Western a week ago, the women’s hockey team (11-8-0-0) looked for more success this weekend. While the team’s game against the York Lions (4-10-3-1) was postponed due to an arena power outage on Saturday, Queen’s fell to the OUA’s top-ranked Guelph Gryphons (14-2-1-2) 4-1 on Sunday.

The weekend began in unexpected fashion when the Gaels arrived in Toronto to play York. Shortly prior to puck drop, the Lions’ arena lost power, delaying the start of the game. It was called off moments later, leaving the Gaels with just one game to play for the weekend.

Against Guelph, Queen’s offense sputtered. Tallying six shots in the first period, the team gave up a late goal to the Gryphons and went into the second down a goal. Again struggling to get shots on net, Queen’s closed the period down 2-0 with only six more shots.

The Gaels finally found their intensity in the third. Forward Caroline DeBruin brought Queen’s within one goal midway through the frame, but Guelph responded with a goal just a minute later. Backstopped by strong goaltending, the Gryphons fended off 19 of Queen’s 20 shots in the period, winning 4-1.

With four games left in the regular season, Queen’s is sixth in the OUA with 33 points—seven points behind second-place Western. Next weekend, they’ll play host to the Laurier Golden Hawkes (4-14-0-1) and Waterloo Warriors (9-5-1-3).

women's hockey