Incoming Queen’s students awarded STEM scholarship

Schulich Scholars enter first year

Queen’s currently hosts 17 Schulich Scholars on campus.

The Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) scholarship is one of the largest available in Canada.

Established in 2012, the $100 million program funds 50 Canadian undergraduate scholarships a year and 50 in Israel. 

The 20 partner institutions involved in the Canadian program select their individual recipients from a pool of nominees. Each successful individual is awarded $80,000 towards a degree in the sciences, or $100,000 for the pursuit of an engineering degree. Sonal Gupta, a student from Kingston, was one recipient selected by Queen’s to study for a sciences degree.

“My dream is to use my education in science to create sustainable change through philanthropic initiatives on a global level,” Gupta said in a statement.

Another scholar, Angela Choi of Fredericton, N.B, will join Gupta in pursuit of the degree. 

Sophia Ludovice, a recipient of the NS Lieutenant Governor’s Award, was accepted into Queen’s from Bedford, N.S. She hopes to study Chemical Engineering.

Peter Matthews will also study engineering while at Queen’s. He was honoured with the Chemical Institute of Canada Award for his project on electrolysis. 

In a press release, Vice-Provost and Dean of Student Affairs, Ann Tierney, said, “We are proud of all the Queen’s Schulich Leaders, and honoured these four incoming students have chosen to continue their path of achievement at Queen’s.” 

Queen’s currently hosts 17 Schulich Scholars on campus, with an additional five who’ve graduated. 

Philanthropist Seymour Schulich founded the program, while additionally supporting other education and health care initiatives. 

“Schulich Leader Scholarships are the largest STEM scholarships in Canada. With 50 outstanding students selected each year from across Canada, this group represents the best and brightest Canada has to offer,” Mr. Schulich said. 

“They are the next generation of technology innovators.”