John Mayer goes solo and acoustic

Renowned guitarist back on the road just nine months after his ‘Sob Rock’ tour

Image by: Rida Chaudhry
Tickets to Mayer’s solo tour on sale now.

Some may know him as the creative mastermind behind his Grammy winning “Your Body is a Wonderland” or “Waiting on the World to Change,” but regardless, John Mayer is a talent you don’t want to miss. Producing some of the most nostalgic rock, pop, and blues tunes of the early 2000s, the incredible guitarist is kicking off his 2023 Solo Arena Tour. 

On Jan. 26, Mayer announced his desire to return to his roots with just a guitar and a microphone. His famous Where the Light Is: Live in Los Angeles live album has several hits performed acoustically such as “Neon,” which is widely considered his most challenging song to play on guitar due to its intricate chord shapes and percussive strumming technique. 

The open Esus2 tuning and harmonics of “In Your Atmosphere” is always highly requested, as it is not found in any of his studio albums. More notably, his Grammy award-winning “Daughters” and his cover of “Free Fallin’” still echo though radios and coffeehouses worldwide. These are just some of the songs that you can look forward to seeing live during this tour. 

Despite much of his catalogue involving electric guitars and full bands, his ability to strip his songs down to the basics is fascinating. 

In a fundraising event collecting $1.2 million for the natural disasters in Montana this past summer, Mayer performed his entire Born and Raised album acoustically. The state has a special place in his heart, as he recorded both Born and Raised and Paradise Valley there.

Mayer also appeared on Alexandra Cooper’s podcast in December of 2022, going viral for his acoustic performances of “Daughters” and “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room.” Both performances are seen as driving forces behind his decision for a full run of acoustic shows in 2023. 

During his Sob Rock Tour in 2022, Mayer announced he had parted ways with Columbia Records, the label company that signed him back in 2001. He said he’s “excited to pursue new avenues of making music, both of [his] own and with other artists” and his solo tour is the first run of shows since going independent, giving fans a taste of what’s to come. 

Although the bulk of his performances will be on acoustic guitar, Mayer will be playing the piano and a bit of electric guitar as well. The setlist includes a wide range of his music catalogue, including old, new, and unreleased tracks to be “tested on the road.

Unlike his 30-show Sob Rock Tour, his Solo Tour consists of only 18 shows spanning from March 11 to April 14. Mayer will be performing in Toronto on March 20 at the Scotiabank Arena, taking the “solo” tour meaning quite literally. 

Only making one stop in Canada creates a large demand for tickets, minimizing ticket accessibility while simultaneously raising ticket prices. Fan pre-sale has already passed; however, there are still a limited number of tickets available.

If you want to witness one of the greatest guitarists live—or just like good music—this is an opportunity you do not want to miss!

acoustic, john mayer, Music