Journal Volume 144 Editors in Chief elected

Jacob Rosen and Jane Willsie elected as incoming Editors in Chief

Jacob Rosen and Jane Willsie were announced as the incoming co-Editors in Chief for Volume 144 (2016-17) of The Journal at approximately 12:30 a.m. on Wednesday night.

Rosen, this year’s News Editor, and Willsie, the current Editorials Editor, ran as an uncontested team and were elected with a 97 per cent vote of confidence. The election garnered 31 votes for and one against, with a 50.8 per cent voter turnout.

The team’s platform centered around three key points: improving online content and print layout, increasing community outreach and improving internal structures and communication. 

Voters for the election included current staff along with Queen’s students who’ve contributed to the current volume of The Journal five or more times through writing, photography or design. 

After being informed of the win by current Editors in Chief Sebastian Leck and Anisa Rawhani, Willsie and Rosen were met with applause from staff and hugged each other. Willsie, when asked for a comment, laughed and asked to sit down first. 

At a loss for words, Willsie eventually said: “I need to start making a to do list!” 

“It hasn’t really hit me yet, because we’ve been so busy the past couple of months,” Rosen said. “It’s kind of hitting me now. I’m really excited.” 

“I’m just really proud,” Rawhani said. She later asked staff what volume The Journal is currently in.

“It’s really nice,” Leck said. “In a way, it’s a new generation.”

editors in chief