Lawsuit filed against Queen’s

• News

A September court ruling against Loyalist College has led to a lawsuit against Queen’s.

Last month, an Ontario judge ruled that Loyalist College give monetary compensation to approximately 70 students who studied nursing starting in 1997 and 98.

According to December 2002 court records, two Loyalist nursing students from different years of study each filed a class-action suit against the college.

The records for the case Hickey-Button v. Loyalist College of Applied Arts & Technology stated the college had allegedly promised nursing students the chance to obtain a nursing degree on Loyalist campus by taking courses from both the college and Queen’s over a four-year period.

This was not a program offered at Queen’s, and consequently, the students were unable to complete their degrees in the allocated period of time.

Yesterday, the Whig Standard reported that Loyalist College claims Queen’s unilaterally withdrew from the partnership that would have allowed the nursing students to be granted degrees. Loyalist has filed a lawsuit against Queen’s.

Officials from both institutions declined to comment on the case because it is currently before the courts.

Administration, lawsuit, Loyalist