News in Brief

David Dodge named 13th chancellor David Dodge, former governor of the Bank of Canada will succeed Chancellor Charles Baillie.

A Queen’s graduate in economics, Dodge taught the same subject from 1968 to 1972 and said both roles left him with good memories of the place.

“I had a great undergraduate experience here; I had a great experience as a teacher here so if I can make a contribution to this university, I’m happy to do it.”

Dodge said his time spent as head of the Bank of Canada will have little influence on his time as chancellor.

“I’m not sure if background matters quite as much as intent in doing what one can to strengthen the Queen’s community.”

He said he sees it as his role to “be an advocate for the quality of the environment that we have for undergraduates, graduates and faculty.”

Dodge said he knows he’s returning to Queen’s at a tumultuous time, with his first task chairing the committee to find a new principal.

“Queen’s is family and, as with all families, you go through periods where things are not running smoothly. But you … come together in the end,” he said. “In fact, I have great faith that will happen here.”

He said lack of resources has become a perpetual problem for schools all over the country.

“That’s a challenge we all face whether student, faculty or staff,” he said. “We’ll have to pull together to deliver as best we can.”

Dodge becomes the University’s 13th chancellor, succeeding Charles Baillie. Baillie, who was named Chancellor Emeritus at this year’s University Council meeting held May 3, said he think it’s the chancellor’s job to serve as an objective point of view for members of the Queen’s community.

He said he has complete faith in Dodge.

“He’s enthusiastic, he’s bright; he’s certainly going to have an influence,” he said. “I think he will be a wonderful chancellor.”