On-the-go breakfast bars

It’s summer and we’re constantly surrounded by the lure of barbeques, ice cream and other amazing but not-so-good-for-you foods. I myself am guilty of consuming tasty unhealthy foods. And because of this, I’m always on the hunt for delicious healthy foods I can make.

This nutritious breakfast bar can be stored for later, and is especially good when it’s heated and eaten with milk. It’s also a great snack between meals.

There’s lots of oatmeal packed into this bar – a major health perk. Oats are low in calories and fat, as well as high in fiber and protein, which helps subdue those intense sugar cravings.

Ingredients:

2 cup oats

1 cup of flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 cup peanut butter

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1/4 cup olive oil

1 egg

1 1/2 cup milk or almond milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chunks or chips

3/4 cup pecans or walnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease the pan you will be using.

2. Combine the dry ingredients (oats, flour, salt and baking powder) in a small bowl.

2. Next mix the peanut butter, sugar and oil. It’s best to use an electric mixer but if you don’t have one, mix well with a fork until smooth. Next, beat in the egg and then continue whisking while adding in the milk. Lastly, add that splash of vanilla.

3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and fold to stir until everything is combined. Add in the chocolate chips and 1/2 cup nuts and pour the batter into the prepared pans. If you’d like, sprinkle the pecans on top to add more crunch.

4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden. Wait for it to cool and then cut into desired size pieces. Store in the fridge. Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Oatmeal-chocolate-chip-breakfast-bars-310419.

breakfast, Chocolate Chips, Healthy, Oatmeal, recipe