Queen’s launches Student Mobility Experiences Project

Study abroad project offers $500 honorarium to participants

Image by: Jodie Grieve
The project is still under development.

The Office of the Vice-Provost (International) and the International Programs Office (IPO) are developing a program to help students in equity-deserving groups make more informed decisions about international study opportunities. 

The Student Mobility Experiences Project seeks to expand accessibility and awareness of the international experience through the sharing of blogs, in written or video format, created by students on exchange.

The culmination of personal stories is intended to provide future students who are considering an exchange with an authentic perspective of what the experience of international study entails. 

READ MORE: Medical students review curriculum to improve racial representation in learning materials

“By sharing your insights and experiences abroad, you can give other students a little preview of what may lie ahead for them, help them make informed choices, and hopefully inspire them to also study abroad,” a statement from the IPO said. 

Students in any faculty or discipline who are taking part in an upcoming Fall or Winter mobility program are eligible to participate, though priority will be given to those in equity deserving groups. This encompasses BIPOC, 2SLGBTQ+, First Generation, low-income students, and students with disabilities.

Through this project, the University said it hopes to encourage all students to participate in international study and facilitate a conversation on how identity shapes experiences abroad. 

The project will accept a maximum of 14 students who will each provide two blogs or vlogs during their international semester and one upon their return. 

These can be shared either with their identity or anonymously and will be uploaded on the University’s website and social media accounts. 

READ MORE: COVID-19 & Queen’s: One year later

Participants will be attending pre-departure sessions to help them reflect on international education and human rights across the globe and connect with alumni from a variety of relevant field—such as journalism, international NGOs, or advocacy work—who will guide content creation.  

The Student Mobility Experiences Project is funded by the Government of Canada Outbound Student Mobility Pilot Project. Students participating in the project will receive a $500 honorarium per semester abroad to compensate for the three required blogs. 

The University didn’t respond to a request for comment in time for publication.

As the program is still under development, the IPO and Office of the Vice-Provost (International) is currently asking for student feedback on the proposed project, especially from those in equity-deserving communities. The survey is available online until March 24. 

Exchange, International Programs Office, study abroad