Retiring athletes share their favourite varsity sports memories

Outgoing Gaels give a wistful look back before moving on to bigger and better things

Image by: Shelby Talbot
Retiring Gaels share some of their most cherised moments.

Sophie de Goede — Women’s Rugby, Women’s Basketball

To choose just one memory is difficult, so I’ll have to split between two: my first memory is winning the rugby National Championship on home soil this past November, and my second memory is our bronze medal run with the basketball team at this past week’s National Championships.

To win both those medals at home, in front of so many of the people that have helped me along this journey, was something more special than I can put into words. I am so incredibly grateful to everyone I’ve met, played with, and been influenced by during my time at Queen’s. I cannot wait to cheer each and every one of you throughout life just as you have cheered me on through my Gaels career!

Josh Mosley — Men’s Football 

Over these past six years at Queen’s, Gaels Football has become synonymous with family. I’ve had the great pleasure of both building relationships with my teammates that will endure for a lifetime, while also sharing with my friends and family the rich culture of Queen’s Gaels Football. 

One of my most cherished memories playing Gaels Football comes from the 2021 season when my Dad was joined by a caravan of 15 of my uncles—‘uncles’ being broadly defined—to watch us thump the Carleton Ravens 45-0. Running to the back of the end-zone and sharing a round of high-fives with the whole crew after a Rasheed Tucker Touchdown made my whole day. It truly encapsulated what Queen’s Football has become for me—a family event.

Christie Gray — Women’s Soccer

Winning the 2021 OUA Women’s Soccer Championship is my favourite memory of being a varsity athlete at Queen’s. It was the perfect way to cap off my senior season with an incredible team and staff.

After a cancelled season and many obstacles throughout COVID, it was great to finally have a positive turn of events. After beating our rival, uOttawa, in the OUA semi-final game, we advanced to the OUA Final and the U Sports National Championship for the first time since I’d been at Queen’s. With support in the stands from the entire Men’s program, friends, family, and alumni all season, I strongly believe this fuelled our success. The experience of winning an OUA championship and finishing fifth at nationals in Nova Scotia is something I’ll remember for the rest of my life.

Patrick Sanvido — Men’s Hockey

A little inside memory that I would love to share is from the Queen’s Cup final game in 2019, specifically in the third period.

That entire playoff run I was struggling with muscle cramps, and I was trying everything to mitigate them from occurring in the game: copious amounts of water, Gatorade, Pedialyte, mustard packets, coconut water, and finally potato chips—none of these were working, but I kept trying.

In that third period, when we were up 3-1 with approximately eight minutess to go, the cramps struck again. So, sitting on the bench in-between shifts, anyone near the bench would have heard me yelling at Fishy—our equipment manager—to “Get the chips!” 

Fishy, thinking I was joking around because we had virtually won the game, was confused, and sort of mad at me at first. But the tone in my voice conveyed I wasn’t kidding and needed the chips ASAP.

So, those same people that may have heard me yelling on the bench then would have witnessed me eating a small sandwich bag of potato chips, trying to replenish the salt in my body to relieve my muscle cramps before heading out for my next shift.

Needless to say, it didn’t work, but I survived. In the final shift of the game my legs were cramping so bad that I couldn’t even bend my legs when we stormed our goalie celebrating the win. 

I got over it quickly, though. Seeing Spencer Abraham lift that trophy over a Queen’s jersey for the first time in 38 years was the perfect antidote.

retiring athletes