Sandy subdued

Storm topples trees, brings less damage than expected

A lamp post at University Ave. and Union St. was one of the casualties of Monday night’s wind.
Image by: Timothy Hutama
A lamp post at University Ave. and Union St. was one of the casualties of Monday night’s wind.

Hurricane Sandy blew through Kingston with more of a rattle than a bang.

The storm, which had caused extensive damage along the East Coast of the US, ravaged parts of Ontario, killing one woman in Toronto and causing many branches and trees to fall on cars and houses.

Once it reached Ontario, it had been downgraded from a hurricane to a post-tropical storm.

Kingston braced itself after warnings from Environment Canada and local politicians about the possibilities of flooding and power outages.

Local grocery stores reported a slight spike in business on Monday night, with Kingstonians stocking up mostly on bottled water, candles and batteries to prepare for the storm.

However, many of these emergency measures weren’t necessary in the end, as the predicted flooding didn’t occur.

Brad Joyce, director of hydro and business services for Utilities Kingston, said the storm didn’t pass through Kingston completely unnoticed.

While the rain was sparse, the wind caused much of the damage.

Power outages affected many parts of the City.

The Student Ghetto had a few scattered power outages, while other parts of Kingston were more strongly affected.

According to Joyce, a large branch broke off and fell on one of the main circuit feeders, cutting off power to 2,500 customers for over two hours in the Northeast area of the City.

Other neighborhoods, such as those around the Canadian Forces Base and the area between Conacher Dr. and Division St., experienced briefer power outages that affected only a few hundred customers.

Local damage included a few downed trees and a damaged lamppost at University and Union Streets. The sign at Indigo Bookstore on Princess St. also came down with the wind, damaging cars that sat below.

Utilities Kingston also had two teams of two workers out during the night to help remedy problems surrounding the city. They replaced three traffic signal heads that had blown off, while turning back 12 others that had been blown out of place.



All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Queen's Journal

© All rights reserved.

Back to Top
Skip to content