Sports in brief

Track and field picks up 10 medals

The track and field team came away with 10 medals—five gold, two silver and three bronze—from last weekend’s Last Chance Challenge in Montreal. Michael Nishiyama led the way for Queen’s with a gold in the men’s 600-metre and recorded a personal-best time of 1:22.85 seconds in the process. He was also part of the gold-medal men’s 4X800-metre relay team with Mike Arnold, Scott Knieriem and Clay Patterson. Arnold earned another gold in the men’s 4×200-metre relay with teammates Adrian Heller, Gord Frenke and Tyler Nightingale. On the field side, Matt Pierce picked up a silver in the men’s triple jump and Taya McGillivary earned silver in the women’s shot put. 

—Andrew Bucholtz

Moore named to OUA all-star team

Despite the women’s basketball team’s Feb. 19 loss in the OUA quarterfinals for the second year in a row, Brittany Moore again achieved individual accolades. Moore, last year’s OUA rookie of the year, was named to the OUA first all star team Tuesday. For three pointers, she finished second in Canada with 61 and second in the OUA for total points with 392. Her top performance came Jan. 7, when she set a Queen’s single-game record with 40 points against the Royal Military College Paladins.

—Andrew Bucholtz

Queen’s student competes for Canada

Alexandre Dumond has competed in two events at the 24th Winter Universiade in Hunan, China.

Dumond, a kinesiology student, finished 27th in the 20 km men’s biathlon with a time of 1:6:25.4 last Saturday. On Tuesday, he finished 33rd in the men’s 12.5 km sprint with a time of 43:50.6.

Dumond will participate in the mixed relay race today and will compete in his last race, a mass start competition, tomorrow.

—Amrit Ahluwalia

McVicar earns top-10 finish

Julie McVicar turned in an outstanding performance at the OUA Nordic skiing championships last weekend, placing sixth in the five-kilometre freestyle and fifth in the 10-kilometre classic. She led the women’s team to a seventh-place finish. The men’s team finished 11th, led by Ian Scriver who placed 30th overall.

—Andrew Bucholtz