Sports in brief

Swimming brings home three golds

The Gaels’ men’s and women’s swimming teams competed at home last weekend, picking up a veritable mountain of hardware with three gold, nine silver and six bronze medals.

Second-year swimmer Fay Yachetti had a particularly successful weekend, winning all three of Queen’s gold medals. She won the 800-metre and 400-metre freestyle races and was also part of the 4×50-metre freestyle team. The team’s next meet will be next week when they compete in the provincial championships in Ottawa.

—Amrit Ahluwalia

Track earns 14 medals in Ottawa

The Queen’s track and field team captured a grand total of 14 medals at the Ottawa Super Meet last Saturday in the nation’s capital. As at the St. Lawrence University Indoor Classic the weekend before, most of the Gaels’ five gold, three silver and six bronze medals came from track events. But, the only individual gold the team picked up was from Adam Jackson’s efforts in the high jump.

The Gaels travel to Montreal next weekend to take part in the McGill Team Challenge.

—Amrit Ahluwalia

Men’s squash splits weekend

The men’s squash team split their results this weekend, leaving the Crossover at Toronto with a 2-2 record. The Gaels suffered their first losses of the season Saturday, losing 5-1 to the McMaster Marauders before falling 6-0 to the Western Mustangs. On Sunday, the Gaels got back to .500, defeating the Waterloo Warriors 4-2 before handing the Brock Badgers a 6-0 loss. Queen’s is now 6-2 on the season, sitting in third place in the OUA behind McMaster and Western.

—Amrit Ahluwalia

19th Winter Adapted Games to take place this weekend

The 19th annual Kingston Winter Adapted Games will be held at Queen’s Saturday. The games are designed to promote inclusion for children with physical and intellectual disabilities and include such events as tobogganing, snow soccer and swimming. They are run by students and faculty, and organized by the schools of kinesiology and health education and rehabilitation therapy.

—Andrew Bucholtz

Chess finishes tied for second

The Queen’s chess club hosted the 2009 Canadian Post-Secondary Team Chess Championships from Jan. 16 to 18 and finished in a five-way tie for second behind the University of Western Ontario. Eighteen teams and 72 players from across the country entered the tournament, including four players ranked in the top 40 in Canada. Tyler Longo, Emre Turken, Jonathan Farine, Herbert Fournier and Nicholas Gellner competed for Queen’s.

—Andrew Bucholtz