Sports in Brief

Soccer to hold third Greg Hulse Memorial matches

The Queen’s soccer teams will host the third annual Greg Hulse Memorial matches on May 31. The event, which honours a former Queen’s soccer player who died in a car accident in June 2005, features male and female all-star games between athletes selected from the local high schools.

Three to four athletes from each school will compete, and the teams will be split into North and South divisions.The women’s all-star game will kick off at 1 p.m. at Richardson Stadium, with the men’s game to follow.

Players from Queen’s men’s and women’s varsity soccer teams will conduct a training session for the athletes before the first match.

Admission to the matches is $5 for adults, $3 for high-school students and $2 for children five to 12. Children under five get in free.

The proceeds from admission, raffles and 50-50 draws conducted at the matches will support the establishment of an athletic scholarship for future Queen’s soccer players. The event organizers also hope to raise awareness for the Jamaica Mission, a charity Hulse supported.

Football raises funds for ALS

The Queen’s football team has partnered with the Royal Canadian Golf Association and the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Society of Ontario to raise funds for research into the disease, commonly known as “Lou Gehrig’s disease.”

Football head coach Pat Sheahan said taking on the disease is a tough but worthwhile challenge for his team, especially given the high numbers of athletes who have died from ALS over the years.

“ALS is a brutal opponent,” he said. “It has a long history with athletes. … Hopefully, one day we will be able to turn this thing back.”

Quarterback Dan Brannagan said raising funds for the disease is personal for him.

“When I was in high school, one of my friends’ fathers passed away from ALS,” he said. “I’m doing this for him.”

The team is selling RCGA golf cards for $25 each as part of the association’s national “Golf 4 ALS

campaign.” The cards can be used at over 150 participating courses across Ontario and Western Canada and give the cardholder a free round of golf for every five rounds they play. They also offer other benefits and prizes, including golfing trips to Ireland and the ability to exchange Air Miles Reward Miles for free rounds of golf.

Cards can be purchased through the RCGA website at rcga.org/ALS. The profits from any cards purchased using the promotional code 08ALSQueens01 will support both the Queen’s football program and the ALS Society, with each group receiving $10 per card. The other $5 covers the cards’ cost.

Forbes leads golf team in Canadian university championships

Team captain Patrick Forbes will lead Queen’s men’s golf team into the Canadian University/College Golf Championships in Victoria, B.C. this week. Forbes tied for seventh in last year’s championships with a total score of 284 strokes, earning the chance to represent Canada at last summer’s World University Games in Thailand.

Chris Abbott, David Trousdale, Mike Hossack and Patrick Godfrey will also represent the Gaels in this

week’s tournament.

The Gaels finished 11th out of a 22-team field last year, the best finish in school history. This year, they’ll be up against 19 other teams from universities and colleges across Canada. The first round is today, with the tournament wrapping up Friday.

—Andrew Bucholtz