Sports in brief

Men’s squash advances to OUA playoffs

The Gaels’ men’s squash team went 3-1 at the OUA crossover tournament in Toronto last weekend, where they faced teams from the western half of the league to conclude their regular season.

They beat the McMaster Marauders and the Waterloo Warriors by scores of four matches to two and defeated the Brock Badgers 6-0 before falling 6-0 to the Western Mustangs. Paul Gartenburg and rookie Alex Ford both won three of the Gaels’ four matches.

Queen’s finished third in the OUA in the regular season standings, with a 22-14 match record surpassed only by Western and the McGill Redmen. They face the Redmen Feb. 8 in the conference semifinals.

—Andrew Bucholtz

Success in Peterborough for Nordic ski team

The Queen’s Nordic ski team made a strong showing at last weekend’s OUA Qualifier in Peterborough.

Fourth-year skier Julie McVicar and rookie Jack Van Dorp both achieved fourth-place finishes on the weekend, in the women’s five-kilometre and men’s 10-kilometre races respectively. McVicar also finished sixth in the women’s 10-kilometre race, while Van Dorp finished 13th in the men’s 15-kilometre race.

Talia Davidson finished 15th and 17th in the five and 10-kilometre races respectively, while Julie Engelhardt came 16th and 18th. Rookie Alan Richards also cracked the top 20 in both men’s races.

Next for the teams will be the OUA Championships, to be held Feb. 9 and 10 at Laurentian University in Sudbury.

—Andrew Bucholtz

Track and field wins four medals in Montreal

The Queen’s track and field team took home one silver and three bronze medals from the annual McGill Team Challenge Meet last weekend.

Leading the way was Matt Hulse, whose time of 2:29.27 in the men’s 1,000-metre earned him a silver medal. Hulse is ranked third in the CIS in the event.

Perennial medal-finisher Braden Novakowski finished third in the 1,500-metre event, just two seconds behind second-place James Poulin-Cadovius of Sherbrooke.

The men’s 4×400-metre relay team also collected a bronze medal. The team, composed of Michael Prime, Adrian Heller, Michael Nishiyama and Russell Morrison finished in a time of 3:26.09.

On the women’s side, the lone medal was a bronze in the 60-metre event from Veronica Catry.

As a team, the women placed 10th out of 15 teams while the men placed eighth.

—Mike Woods