Sports in brief

Gaels swimming finishes fifth at the Campbell Divisional Championships

Queen’s swimmers only collected 633.5 points against stiff competition in Guelph this past weekend, finishing behind the McMaster Marauders, the University of Toronto Varsity Blues, the Guelph Gryphons and the Laurentian Lakers. The women’s team placed fifth and the men finished at fourth.

Gaels swimmer Julian Chang picked up the only Tricolour medal of the day in the men’s 50-metre freestyle. On the women’s side, Margo Bacher finished seventh in the women’s 100-metre breaststroke. The Gaels head to Brock University next Saturday for their final meet of 2009.

—Lauri Kytömaa

Women’s volleyball matchup with Royal Military College postponed

The women’s volleyball team’s match with the Royal Military College Paladins at home last Friday was postponed indefinitely because an undetermined number of Paladin players had suspected cases of the H1N1 virus. According to the OUA’s H1N1 policy, if the flu virus poses a threat the game is to be rescheduled. Queen’s next game is at Bartlett Gym tonight against the University of Toronto Varsity Blues.

—Bryan Mayes

Women’s basketball picks up back-to-back wins

The women’s basketball team played the Waterloo Warriors last Friday and the Wilfred Laurier Golden Hawks the following day. On Friday, the Gaels scored a 59-51 victory over the Warriors. Katie Guthrie scored 12 points and added 10 rebounds. On Saturday, the Gaels showed their strength once again as they trampled the Golden Hawks 71-59. Post Erin Skippon led the Gaels tallying 22 points, nine rebounds and five steals.

The 3-2 Gaels’ next game is against the Windsor Lancers tonight in Windsor.

—Bryan Mayes

Toronto trip ends with two victories

Victories against the York Lions and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) Ridgebacks over the weekend move the men’s hockey team to a 5-4-1 record.

Forwards Joey Derochie, Clinton McCullough and Jeffrey Johnstone found the back of the net early in their victory over York University on Friday night before the Lions evened the score heading into the third. The Gaels came back in the final period with Derochie’s second goal of the night and a late shorthanded goal from defenseman Ben Munroe to finish the game with a 5-3 win.

Queen’s battled back for a 4-3 shootout win against UOIT on Saturday after falling behind twice. Derochie scored his team-leading eighth goal of the season to send Queen’s to a shootout. Goaltender Mackenzie Ball turned away all three Ridgeback shooters after Derochie scored on the Gaels’ first attempt. Forwards Jon Lawrance and Johnstone provided the first two goals.

The men’s hockey team will face the Windsor Lancers in a two-game mini-series this weekend at the Memorial Centre. The first game is tonight at 7:30 p.m. and the second is tomorrow at 2 p.m.

—Kate Bascom

A win and a loss for women’s hockey

The women’s hockey team split their home games this weekend with a 4-1 loss to the York Lions on Friday night but battled back with an exciting 6-5 overtime win against the University of Toronto Varsity Blues on Saturday.

At the Memorial Centre on Friday night, Queen’s could not be faulted for any lack of effort. The Gaels took 48 shots on the Lions’ goaltender but only found the back of the net once with a first period goal by forward Jess Cone. Against the Varsity Blues, the Gaels fell behind 5-1 midway through the second period. Rookie goalie Mel Dodd-Moher replaced Karissa Savage after she allowed four goals in the opening half of the second period.

Queen’s found their momentum with goals from forwards Becky Conroy and Kristin Smith, cutting the University of Toronto’s lead to two. Further goals from forwards Kelsey Thomson and Morgan McHaffie in the third period pushed Queen’s into overtime where Thomson scored her second of the night with 32 seconds left.

The Gaels face off against the Windsor Lancers and the Western Mustangs this weekend on the road.

—Kate Bascom

Men’s basketball picks up first win in final seconds

It took a tightly contested road match with the Wilfred Laurier Golden Hawks to bring the men’s basketball team its first win of the new season. With less than a minute left in the game, the teams stood at a 63-63 deadlock. Queen’s forward Bernard Burgesson hit a foul shot with 13.6 seconds left on the clock to give the Gaels a 64-63 win. Forward Mitch Leger lead the Gaels in scoring with 21 points, six rebounds and four steals. The 1-3 Gaels play in Windsor against the Lancers tonight.

— Lauri Kytömaa

All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Queen's Journal

© All rights reserved.

Back to Top
Skip to content