Sports in brief

Outside hitter Lorna Button is one of four Gaels’ volleyball women chosen for the Ontario provincial team.
Image by: Justin Tang

Former Gaels don national red and white

Two alumni of the Queen’s rowing team travelled to Banyoles, Spain to represent Canada at the Rowing World Cup 1, held from May 29-31.

Simon Gowdy and Josh Metcalfe competed together in the lightweight men’s doubles category and finished fourth overall, just fewer than six seconds off the pace of the lead boat from the Netherlands.

Both rowers had storied careers with the Gaels, including four first-place finishes by Gowdy, helping lead the team to an OUA team title and three team second place finishes over his time at Queen’s.

–Anand Srivastava

Canada meets Australia in Bartlett

International men’s volleyball will be on display at Bartlett Gym next month as Canada, ranked 21st in the world, will host their 14th-ranked counterparts from Australia on July 22.

The match will mark a return for Queen’s alumni Adam Simac, who led the Gaels to a provincial championship and a national fifth-place finish in 2006.

The game starts at 7 p.m., with doors opening at 6 p.m. Tickets are $10 each and available on-line atvolleyball.ca.

—Amrit Ahluwalia

CHL products to join Queen’s

Gaels hockey fans can expect two more accomplished names on a strengthening men’s hockey roster next year with the addition of Payton Liske, formerly of the QMJHL’s St. John Sea Dogs and the OHL’s Owen Sound Attack and Stephane Chabot, formerly of the Kingston Voyageurs and Kingston Frontenacs.

Liske was named one of the CHL’s top academic players last year and notched 19 goals and 26 assists with the Sea Dogs. Chabot represented Ontario in the RBC Canada Cup earlier this year tallying 33 points in 42 games last season, earning him accolades as the OJHL’s top defenseman.

—Amrit Ahluwalia

Volleyball players compete on national scale

Four members of the Queen’s women’s volleyball team were selected to participate in the 2009 Canada Games that will be held in Prince Edward Island from

Aug. 22-30.

Lorna Button, Natalie Gray, Katie Matthews and Kristin Collins all earned roster spots to be a part of the 15-strong Ontario squad that will challenge for gold.

The Gaels had a total of seven women invited to the selection camps of their respective provinces.

Both Button and Gray have represented Team Ontario over the last two summers.

—Anand Srivastava

Barrett takes on the world

Men’s rugby wing Chris Barrett took part in the International Rugby Board’s Toshiba Junior World Championship last week, representing Canada against rugby powerhouses Australia, Wales and Tonga.

Barrett started in a losing effort against Australia, who finished third in the championship.

—Amrit Ahluwalia