Sports in Brief: Feb. 7

Women’s winter sports are in full swing

Image supplied by: Supplied by A&R
The Queen’s women’s curling team placed fourth at the OUAs.

The Queen’s Gaels cannot be kept dormant by cold weather—here’s what various varsity clubs have been up to in the winter semester.

Women’s Curling

The women’s curling team competed at the OUA championship this weekend in Oshawa. The Gaels had an excellent first day at the competition and secured two back-to-back wins over York and McMaster.

Their performances advanced them to the quarter-final round where they met the Brock Badgers for eight ends. Even though Brock won the toss to start the game with the hammer, Queen’s stole in the third end to turn the tide and give the Gaels the slim lead they needed. Queen’s ended the match 5-4 and progressed to the semi-finals.

In the semis, Queen’s lost to the eventual champion McMaster, but didn’t leave the tournament completely empty-handed. The Gaels ranked fourth in the province, and Queen’s lead Sarah McCutcheon was named a Second Team OUA All-Star.

Women’s Wrestling

Queen’s rookie Marthe Laplante Brady was named U SPORTS wrestler of the week after her performance in London on Jan. 29. She controlled the 82-kilogram weight class and earned herself the tenth spot in the U SPORTS Top Ten ranking, the Gaels’ first appearance this year.

Artistic Swimming

On Jan. 21 and 22, the Queen’s women’s artistic swimming team had their first competition of the season at McGill. The Gaels landed a sixth-place finish in the experienced team category and a fifth-place finish in the novice teams category. The solo event produced similar results, with Sarah Taylor and Payton Hooey placing fifth and sixth, respectively.

Women’s Football

Women’s Football is off to a running start. The Gaels competitive team formed on Jan. 16 and have been practicing or meeting almost daily since then. Their first competition is this weekend.

The recreation team draft also happened recently, and since the teams formed this weekend, the practices have started as they prepare for the highly anticipated Friday Night Lights games to come later in the season.

artistic swimming, Curling, Football, Women's Football, Wrestling