Sports in Brief: Week 6

Every Gaels game from the last week, all in one article

Image by: Angus Merry
Highlighting this week's Brief is the Men's Football Team

Varsity Sports

Men’s Football

The Men’s Football team finished off their regular season last Thursday with an impressive 30-12 victory over the uOttawa Gee-Gees—marking an undefeated (6-0) fall campaign. Boasting the best record in the OUA and the number five national ranking, the Gaels are positioned to make a deep postseason run as they make their way to their first playoff game on Nov. 6, the opponent of which is still to be determined

Rugby

The Women’s Rugby Team also found success in their last outing of the regular season— shutting down the McMaster Marauders 59-10—bringing their final record to an impressive 4-0. Their first playoff game will take place on Oct. 30, the opponent of which is to be determined.

The Men’s Rugby team’s final game of regular season play was a technical victory after a forfeiture by McMaster, marking an equally impressive 4-0 fall season. Their first game of the postseason will also take place on Saturday, with details on opponent and location to be revealed shortly.

Soccer

The Women’s Soccer team had a net .500 weekend, experiencing their first loss of the season against uOttawa on Friday, but ultimately coming back to beat the RMC Paladins at home on Sunday. Their final double-header of the regular season will be taking place this weekend against the York Lions on Friday and Sunday.

The Men’s team swept their weekend series against the RMC Paladins, bringing their season record to an admirable 4-2-1. They’ll also be facing the York Lions in their final double-header of the season this weekend, matching the schedule of the women’s team.

Cross Country

The Queen’s Cross-Country team competed at the Bay Front Open in Hamilton over the weekend. The men’s squad placed third overall, and the women’s squad finished fourth. Their next outing will be the OUA championship, taking place in London on Nov. 6.

Varsity Clubs

Lacrosse

The Men’s Lacrosse team competed in their final regular-season game of the year on Oct. 22—falling to Bishop’s University 8-12—marking a final 4-2 record. Their next outing will be the first round of the Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association playoffs, the location and opponent of which is still to be determined.

The Women’s Lacrosse team also posted their final two games of the year over the weekend, sweeping their series against the Ontario Tech Ridgebacks and bringing their season record to an impressive 8-0. Their next two games will take place in the OUA Championship tournament on Oct. 30, with their first game against Brock University and their second against the University of Toronto (UofT).

Water Polo

The Men’s Water Polo team fell to the uOttawa Gee-Gees on Sunday, marking a tough start to their short four-game regular season. Their next game will take place against the UofT Varsity Blues on Oct. 30 in Toronto.

The Women’s Water Polo team also had difficulty getting past the Gee-Gees over the weekend, just barely losing their match 11-12. They’ll also visit the Varsity Blues in Toronto this Saturday.

Fastpitch

The Fastpitch team’s season came to an end over the weekend after falling short against the uOttawa Gee-Gees in the second round of the Ontario Intercollegiate Women’s Fastpitch Association championship.

Field Hockey

The Queen’s Field Hockey Team saw an end to their regular season on Oct. 23 after being defeated twice by the York Lions. With those added losses, their final record tallies 0-8, ahead of the start of the OUA Field Hockey Playoffs on Oct. 30.

sports in brief