Choosing the best period tracking app

Apps have bad reputations of selling private data

Image by: Herbert Wang
Clue is the best period app.

If you’re a menstruator under the age of 40, there’s a good chance you use an app to track your period. Beyond knowing which day of the month you’ll need a tampon, your period is one of the best indicators of female health. 

Period tracking apps store information on any changes within your cycle, taking the burden off your memory and populating your data into trends. The top apps allow you to input information on everything from bleeding, ovulation, pain, and PMS, to sex life, cravings, exercise, and even hair or skin quality. 

To be an informed consumer, picking the right app is important. 

From a user perspective, the multitude of tracking features equates to reliability and convenience. On the flipside, more features lead to higher chances of mass data collection and subsequent privacy concerns. 

Issues with data privacy on period tracking apps are not new. In 2019, The Wall Street Journal reported that Flo, used by over 25 million people at the time, started selling their data to Facebook.  The ‘anonymized’ data being 

sold was determined to be reversable, easily identifying users through metadata. 

I tried out the top apps on the market, combed through their privacy policies, and researched into any data scandals they’ve had to rank which app is best for design, inclusivity, and privacy.  

Clue: Winner!

Clue, a German app, is the best across the board. 

The app is subject to strict EU digital information regulations and publicizes a strong stance on not supplying user data to US authorities. They don’t store your name or email and their privacy policy is easy to comprehend. They anonymize then encrypt user data, which is used for scientific collaborations in reproductive research. 

In short, they use your data, but it’s generally protected and utilized for science. It falls short in providing contraceptive reminders but offers a wide range of tracking features, uses a simple design, and is inclusive to all ages and genders. 

Flo: Second place, but questionable

After clearing up its shady data deals with Facebook, Flo now uses only one partner for data analysis. The app also has a relatively clear privacy policy. In a new, surprisingly positive update, the company allows for an ‘anonymous mode’ feature in light of Roe v. Wade being overturned in the United States.

This move comes at a time when suspected abortions have the potential to be uncovered should the case make it to court and the apps be compelled to hand over their data. Just this week, Facebook and Google handed over data from a user accused of having an abortion to support the prosecution’s case. Now more than ever, it’s imperative to protect your personal data at a time of advanced technological use.

Flo is the first of its kind to implement this level of privacy. However, it prompts users to connect with Apple Health which has a host of its own data privacy issues. Compared to Clue, Flo is riskier, has less features, and, arguably, some design flaws.  

Eve by Glow: Alarm bells are ringing

A sister app to Glow, Eve lacks gender-inclusive language and is geared toward heterosexual women. It’s hyper-focused on sex and how it relates to one’s period. It also hides many of the outputs from the tracking features until users pay for a premium subscription. 

Their privacy policy also contradicts their privacy claims on the Google Play store, causing a big issue back in 2020 over misleading consumers. It also tracks and stores your precise location, health care providers’ names, medications, spouses’ names, and highly detailed sexual activities.

Ovia Fertility: Not for periods

This app is best used for fertility over period tracking. It has a very confusing privacy policy with an especially concerning section that says they share personal data for marketing purposes through social media or other third parties. 

The most notable partner? Facebook. So, Facebook can personalize advertisements to you despite you never logging on. Sounds sketchy to me. 

***

Keeping track of your menstruation is difficult, with or without an app. While the tracking apps are helpful, they also pose serious risks to your privacy. I implore you to consider the value of your intimate data and reflect on whether these apps are protecting your data appropriately. 

It’s imperative to understand that in the wrong apps’ hands, your data is traceable, shared, and sold in our fast-paced digital world. 

Doing a few Google searches can help you navigate the big world of tech and determine what the best and most private option for you and your data is. Your privacy is worth the effort.

Health, period apps, period products, women