With Thanksgiving around the corner, we’re onto the next big thing in baking. A creative idea like no other; an apple pie baked inside of an apple. That’s right, take a moment to recover from the shock of the pure genius of the idea. Not only adorable and functional, this recipe has a perfect autumn taste for you or for two.
These treats have a slight crunch on the outside but they’re filled with gooey and warm fall comfort. Top them with ice cream for a balance of warm and cool flavour. If you’re looking for something more tart, cut the amount of agave in half along with the sugar in the crust. Additionally, feel free to add ½ tsp. of allspice and ginger to the filling for a little bit of an extra fall kick.
This recipe is relatively easy, but to cut down on time and effort, feel free to use store-bought dough and follow the same baking instructions.
• 1.5 cups all purpose flour
• 2 tsp. white sugar
• 1 tsp. salt
• ½ cup vegetable oil
• 2 tbsp. milk
• 1 tsp. cornstarch
• 1 tbsp. warm water
• 5 granny smith apples
• 1 tsp. cinnamon
• ½ cup sugar
• 1 tsp. agave (can be substituted
• 1 egg
• 1 tsp. milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Combine crust ingredients in large bowl and mix until smooth and set aside
3. Mix together water and cornstarch in a separate small bowl
4. Peel and dice 1 apple
5. In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the apples, cornstarch water, cinnamon and sugar
a. Stir constantly for 5 minutes
7. Put on low heat and let simmer for 5 minutes
8. Take off of heat and add vanilla
a. Let cool for 15 minutes
10. Roll out pie dough until it’s ¼ inch thick
11. Cut into ½ inch strips
12. Remove insides of 4 apples
13. Fill each apple with cooked apple filling
14. Layer strips of pie crust onto the top of the apples
15. Place on baking sheet and put in over for 25 minutes
All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to email@example.com.