The inside scoop on delicious, affordable vegan eats at Queen’s

Finding sustainable, vegan food around campus is easier than you might think

A guide to the best vegan eats at Queen’s.

At first glance, finding affordable vegan options on campus—especially late-night food—can seem like a massive feat. However, after two years of hunting and searching, I’m here to officially tell you it doesn’t need to be difficult. There are sneaky vegan spots all over campus. 

Whether you eat strictly vegan food or like to opt for more environmentally sustainable eats, this list applies to everyone.

The Tea-Room

Located in the Beamish Munro building, The Tea Room offers bagels with hummus, black bean spread, avocado, and veggies. They also serve fabulous iced and hot lattes, perfect for a mid-day pickup between classes.

The Tea Room markets itself as environmentally friendly and prioritizes its overall sustainability. My personal favorite part of this café is they don’t charge extra for their non-dairy milk options, but actually charge extra for cow milk.

While most cafés add an extra dollar for vegan milk alternatives, The Tea Room creates an incentive for customers to opt for a more environmentally sustainable option.

Khao 

If you’re looking for Thai, Indian, or Chinese food, Khao in Lower JDUC is the place to go. For vegan options, Khao offers a roasted Thai tofu sandwich, chickpea chana masala, and an edamame bowl with veggies, noodles, and pho broth.

A pro tip for finding vegan alternatives in Asian cuisine is to ask for no egg in noodle dishes like pad thai, Singapore noodles, and lo mein. In my experience, Khao has been incredibly flexible and understanding about substitutions and dietary restrictions—just ask.

Khao also accepts Tams and flex dollars from Queen’s meal plans, which is very convenient.

Flip-It in Mac-Corry

Another great vegan option on campus is Flip It, formally the Canadian Grilling Company. 

While burger joints are rarely vegan friendly, all of Flip It’s burger combos have the choice to substitute a vegan black bean and rice patty as the protein base. It also has a build-your-own salad station with chickpeas, edamame, avocado, hummus, seeds, and black beans as plant-based protein toppings.

It can take a while to get your food, but the wait is worth it.

House of Donair

If you’re looking to wrap up an evening with greasy food—pun intended—look no further than House of Donair on Princess St. Located just off-campus, this family-run business specializes in shawarma, pitas, and donair with plenty of vegan options.

Finding vegan fast food can be difficult, but House of Donair offers fried cauliflower bites, hummus, falafel, French fries, and plant-based pitas. The best part of the restaurant is it’s open until 3 a.m. on the weekends.

Unlike the university stops, House of Donair also offers delivery, takeout, and dine-in options. Whether you’re going for a quick lunch or satisfying a late-night craving, it’s got what you need—and has the friendliest service.