Third-period rally

Women’s hockey beats Ryerson 6-2

The women’s hockey team got back on track with a 6-2 victory over the Ryerson Rams in Toronto on Saturday. The win came after consecutive road losses to the Wilfred Laurier Golden Hawks and the Toronto Varsity Blues.

Head coach Matthew Holmberg said although it’s early in the season, the win was important in keeping the Gaels competitive in the OUA standings.

“The league is very tight,” he said. “Going into the game we were only four points up on the ninth-place [team].” The Gaels sit in third place in the OUA behind the first-place Golden Hawks and the second-place Guelph Gryphons.

Saturday’s game was closer than the 6-2 score indicated. The Gaels only led 3-2 halfway through the third period until forwards Morgan McHaffie, Shawna Griffin and defender Katie Duncan scored three unanswered goals to clinch the win. Homberg said the third-period display proved the Gaels can perform when it counts. “Once the game got pretty tight in the third period, I thought our players … kicked it into another gear,” Holmberg said.

With a goal and two assists, Morgan McHaffie extended her point total to 24 and continues to lead the OUA this season.

“She came through with a big goal to make it 4-2,” Holmberg said. “That’s what we expect out of our leaders.” The Gaels will look to protect a 4-0 home record when they host the Guelph Gryphons on women’s minor hockey appreciation day in Kingston on Saturday. It will be a rematch of last season’s OUA final that saw the Gaels win a provincial title. “We’ve certainly developed a pretty good rivalry with [them] over the past few years,” Holmberg said. “It’s a pretty big day for us.”

The Gryphons are three points ahead of the Gaels for second- place in the OUA.

Matthew Holmberg, Morgan McHaffie, women's hockey