‘Three-ring circus’

Matthew Good’s new album may be less controversial then past albums, but the singer is still politically passionate

Matthew Good remarried in April 2010 and had his second child

Canadian musician Matthew Good last came to Kingston in 2009. The guitarist and vocalist said the biggest change in his life has occurred at home, with his second marriage and the birth of his son.

“Kids, family, the rest of it,” Good said. “Just trying to find that balance between music and home time can be tough.

“It’s hard, but I guess you have to do it.”

His fifth solo record, Lights of Endangered Species, was released this summer after two pre-released tracks hit the web in March.

“Some people like it, some people don’t,” Good said. “Can’t win ‘em all … I wouldn’t put a song on the record if I didn’t like it.”

Good said he’s strayed from including politics in his music since his politically-charged 2004 album White Light Rock & Roll Review — it took jabs at former US President George Bush.

“Most of the time I use metaphor and implication,” he said. “Sometimes people confuse something personal with me being political and vice versa.”

But fans shouldn’t fear losing Good to a political career.

“I don’t want to be involved in that three-ring circus,” he said. “It’s a fucking shit show.”

The B.C. native said choosing a candidate to support in the 2009 provincial election was difficult. The B.C. Liberals won 49 seats under leader Gordon Campbell.

“It’s like trying to pick which dead fish to eat,” Good said, “which dead, rotten fish to eat.”

Good has publicly discussed his anxiety and bipolar disorder since 2006.

He said university students should make happiness a priority.

“A lot of people find themselves in high-pressure situations where they think their entire future is on the line or they’re socially despondent because they’re away from home and they’re exceedingly unhappy in what they’re doing there because it doesn’t provide the joy they thought it would,” he said. “My only advice is to get the fuck out of it, leave.

“Look at me, I got my degree at the library,” he said. “I wouldn’t trade anything I know for an education at that level. Why? For a fucking piece of paper.”

Though, Good is quick to point out that he shouldn’t be seen as an example of financial success.

“I’m still a Canadian musician,” he said. “I still have to worry about my mortgage.”

Matthew Good plays the Grand Theatre at 8 p.m. on Oct. 24.

family, Interview, Lights of Endangered Species, Matthew Good, Politics