TIFF ‘16 to feature Queen’s team and Kingston native

Image supplied by: Supplied by Matt Code and Molly McGlynn
A scene from 3-Way (Not Calling) directed and produced by Matt Code and Molly McGlynn.

In the film industry, September is one of the most important months of the year. As the season turns, thousands of filmmakers, celebrities, movie-lovers and critics flock to Ontario’s capital for the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF).

TIFF is known for celebrating independent productions from all over the world, but also serves as an important stepping-stone for filmmakers and actors to the Academy Awards. 

In addition to its feature presentations, TIFF selects a strong crop of short films by Canadian filmmakers. Among this year’s programming are two shorts with strong ties to the Queen’s and Kingston community.

CYCLES, produced, starring and directed by Kingston native Joe Cobden, is a four-minute film about a man who loses the affection of the woman he loves to his best friend, performed in three repeating choreographies.

“Our guy is left reeling, cycling through the past and trying to figure out what happened,” Cobden said of the film. “And, as he cycles through, the memories get corrupted and a whole other story is revealed.”

CYCLES TRAILER from joe cobden on Vimeo.

Cobden lived in Kingston for the first eight years of his life and has fond memories of his time spent in the city. His lifelong love of performing has fueled an award-winning career as an actor and writer. 

CYCLES isn’t Cobden’s first film to play at TIFF — his short Vive La Canadienne played during the 2012 festival — but he’s thrilled to be invited back, nonetheless. “I’m going to buy a suit to celebrate.” 

While Cobden celebrates another successful short, Queen’s alumni Molly McGlynn and Matt Code prepare for their TIFF debut.

3-Way (Not Calling) was written and directed by McGlynn and produced by Code, both graduates of the Film and Media Studies program at Queen’s.  

The ten-minute short follows 29-year-old Mel, who suggests that she and her boyfriend try a threesome on the eve of her 30th birthday. After finding a third partner, they quickly discover that she’s longing for something more than just sex.

3-WAY (NOT CALLING) – TRAILER from Ouat Media on Vimeo.

“I thought it would make a funny film to show what happens before and after,” McGlynn said. “What are the logistics of something that is supposed to be fun and sexy? There’s always some awkward practicality leading up to such things.”

Though both filmmakers studied at Queen’s, they didn’t cross paths until they were working in Toronto years later. 

Code credits the Film and Media Studies program with giving him the confidence to pursue a career in film. “At the very least, there was a community of people with similar interests that I’d be able to connect with as I forged ahead.”

Both CYCLES and 3-Way (Not Calling) are featured in TIFF’s Short Cuts Programme. The 2016 Toronto International Film Festival runs from September 8-18.

Film, Kingston, Queen's alumni, short film, TIFF