Looking for a way to satisfy your sweet tooth, while impressing your friends with Queen’s spirit?
New to this whole baking thing? On a grocery budget? Don’t worry about it. No baking soda, baking powder or fancy ingredients required. Just sugar, butter, an egg, some jam and your favourite sweets. So throw on your coveralls and tam — it’s time to bake.
2 sticks of softened butter
1 ¾ cups of sugar
1 large/extra-large egg
2 tsp. of vanilla extract* (optional, for flavouring)
2 ¾ cups flour
Red, blue and yellow food colouring
Cane sugar (can be substituted for regular or coarse sugar)
Your favourite jam (I used a homemade strawberry jam)
*can be substituted for 1 tsp. of agave nectar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Beat softened butter and sugar together until fluffy
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined
- Mix in flour
- Separate dough into 3 bowls
- Each bowl is for a different coloured dough — blue, red and yellow. Add food colouring – adding four drops at a time – to each bowl, and mix until desired colour is reached
- Roll each of the coloured doughs onto their own parchment paper, until they’re half an inch thick
- Cut rectangles into the flattened dough that are roughly 2 x 4 inches
- For the yellow dough only, cut smaller rectangles out of the middle of your cookie dough, leaving a half an inch wide rim
- Place all the cookies 1 inch apart on non-stick cookie sheet (or use parchment paper on a regular cookie sheet)
- Sprinkle cookies with cane sugar (this will make the cookies shiny once they’re out of the oven!)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges of cookies are slightly brown
- Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes
- Use jam to stick yellow cookies on top of blue cookies
- Pour sprinkles/small candies in the center of the cookie, where you cut out the dough
- Stack red cookies on top using jam as adhesive
- Enjoy your tricolour treat!
All final editorial decisions are made by the Editor(s)-in-Chief and/or the Managing Editor. Authors should not be contacted, targeted, or harassed under any circumstances. If you have any grievances with this article, please direct your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.