Updated alcohol policy to be implemented next spring

Alcohol working group reviewing feedback from campus stakeholders 

New alochol policy set for 2020 implementation.

After nearly a year of review, Queen’s revised alcohol policy is nearing implementation.

In a Nov. 14 statement, the University said Tom Harris, interim provost and vice-principal (Academic), announced the revised alcohol policy is on track to be implemented in May 2020.

“Our primary purpose as an institution of higher learning is to provide a safe, inclusive, and respectful environment for our faculty, staff, and students to support our mission of education and research, not to facilitate the sale or consumption of alcohol,” Harris said in the statement. 

“I’m confident the final document will reflect that purpose. We will certainly consider all of the thoughtful feedback we have before us.”

According to the statement, revisions to the existing alcohol policy were drafted with the purpose of providing a safe campus culture for faculty, staff, and students. The feedback received through the public review process is being reviewed by the Alcohol Working Group (AWG) and will be forwarded to the Policy Advisory Subcommittee for further deliberation. 

The university’s senior leadership team will make the final decision about the revised alcohol policy.

“We are in line with the University regarding our commitment to safety, inclusivity, and developing a positive environment,” AMS Vice-President William Greene wrote in a statement to The Journal. 

On Oct. 8, the AMS submitted alcohol policy recommendations to the university which highlighted the society’s commitment to nurturing a safe environment in which students are allowed to make their own choices regarding alcohol consumption. 

The strong campus response to the proposed revisions has carried weight in discussions since the policy’s first draft was released in September. The AMS hosted a survey about the revised alcohol policy that garnered more than two thousand responses from students. The Law Student’s Society (LSS) also published a letter submitted to the AWG announcing its opposition to proposed changes.

Proposed revisions by the University to the alcohol policy include 30-minute breaks between shots at on-campus drinking establishments, dry Orientation Week activities for both undergraduate and graduate students, and the restriction of promotional materials sponsored by groups associated with alcohol consumption.

“We are hopeful that the University will improve the policy to acknowledge the realities of our on-campus environment, and reflect the principles and concerns brought forward by students,” Greene said.

Alcohol policy, student consultations