What your St. Patty’s Day outfit says about you

How creative can you get this St. Patty’s Day?

Image by: Herbert Wang
The themed baby tees are more creative options.

It’s that time of year again, and like every big Queen’s event that enables a street party on Aberdeen, certain colour-coordinated attire is more creative than others.

Here’s a run-down of some of the green looks you’re going to see this weekend, and what your choice of clothing says about you.

The safe and most prominent choice is a green jersey from Oil Thigh Design. These jerseys are easy to layer and can look quite cute  with a white hoodie. In defence of those who rep the jerseys, there aren’t many other green options as easily accessible than those sold all over campus—so cheers, you did the bare minimum and are able to wear green this weekend.

On the other hand, the jersey look is indicative of much more than just a style preference. The jerseys reflect a lack of time management and commitment.

Arguably, those repping jerseys are either: one, too lazy to put in any effort; two, stuck with the last choice option because they didn’t think about outfits earlier than the day of (fair, honestly); or three, wearing their back up option to what would’ve been a cute outfit now delayed in shipping. 

The only thing worse than this is the basic green sweater or long sleeve that says “Queen’s.” If you’re so late that even the never-ending supply of jerseys are sold out, I’m truly flabbergasted.

Regardless, the lack of prep denotes you as someone who leaves things to the last minute, shows up to group plans late, and is super laid back. (If my housemates are reading this, I know. Guilty.)

Next, some get incredibly creative with their looks. Whether that be cute party tops from online sites, taking bandanas and turning them into tied tube tops, or curated green and feathered cowboy hats, I’ve genuinely seen some impressively unique outfits.

I commend the girls who put the time into making their outfits really stand out and, frankly, I wish I could do the same. However, I enjoy the warmth.

Unfortunately, we live in Ontario and St. Patty’s Day is in March, which means cute tops that hardly cover you up and jacketless tube top looks won’t exactly keep you warm. If you’re someone who prioritizes a day of cute tops over hypothermia or a week of illness, be my guest, but it’s simply not worth it.

If you’re one of these people, you equip a work hard, play hard mindset. If the cold weather doesn’t stop you, I doubt a paper due on Friday does either, so it’s fair to say you’re probably Stage Rage-ing every Thursday. You enjoy EDM music and probably dislike Taylor Swift—this has no justification, but I know it’s true. 

This last look is a personal favourite of mine.

This year, Oil Thigh Design has come out with two new baby tees: one that reads “Lucky You” in green embroidery and another that equips the Little Miss picture with small beer bottles beside it. Both are plain white t-shirts other than the green logos. 

This is a bit more unique than the average basic options. The shirts not only align with the current popularity of baby tees being back in style, but also give into the minimalist aesthetic and trending Little Miss pictures.

If you wear a jacket with the t-shirts and style them with accessories like green necklaces or green sunglasses, your look will be more unique and you’ll be warm—the best of both worlds!

People who engage in this look enjoy Y2K fashion, are realists, and are probably very down to earth. They give me golden retriever energy.

All in all, I’m always happily surprised to see all the outfit choices from the weekend. More times than not, I see a few I tell myself I’ll replicate next year and aways forget when the time comes. Maybe you’ll have a better memory than me and can diverge away from this list for next year.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Outfits, St. Patrick's Day