Who, what and where can I buy it?

A guide to shopping in downtown Kingston

New!

New to the Arts & Entertainment section this year, Style File will be a monthly column featuring news about fashion, beauty and whatever else contributes to what you wear and how you wear it. It will focus on style news as it pertains to the university student, including articles on anything from the quest for a formal dress, to why fashion is art. Ideas are always welcome; this space is designed to reflect what the public wants to know.

Contact Alicia Cox at 533-2800, journal@post.queensu. ca, or stop by 272 Earl with suggestions or comments — advice is appreciated!

Where can I buy it?

This fall, as new students arrive to Kingston from all over the world, the question of where one can find anything from Guess? shoes to Mavi jeans to Freshjive hoodies may arise. The answer? Independent shops in downtown Kingston. Here is a short list to get started; the best way to find clothes and accessories to suit your style is to explore the many shops of downtown Kingston.

Willy’s

178 Princess Street

One of the largest stores downtown, Willy’s carries both men’s and women’s clothing and accessories. Labels include: Fresh Jive, Paul Frank, Westbeach, Stussy, Billabong and Sugar, to name a few, as well as a wide range of Queen’s baseball style caps, kitchsy stickers, and other fun things to decorate and personalize your rez room or student house.

Heel Boy

212 Princess Street

If shoes are you thing, then Heel Boy is for you. Women’s shoes and accessories line the walls in this small shop where one can find shoes by Guess?, Steve Madden, Nine West, Rocket Dog, Kenneth Cole, Franco Sarto, Hush Puppies, Unisa and Me Too.

Neon Clothing

233 Princess Street

Neon Clothing specializes in quality and comfortable women’s and men’s clothing and accessories. They specialize in Silver, Mavi, Levi’s, Mod Robes, as well as Dr. Marten’s and John Fluevog shoes.

Agent 99

244 Princess Street

Looking for women’s clothing and accessories with a funky edge? Then try Agent 99, who carry labels such as Luscious, Bisuo-Bisou, Power Line, X-S, Parasuco, and Leopold. She Clothing Company 246 Princess Street

She Clothing Company offers women’s clothing and accessories from smaller labels, as well as the store’s own label simply called She. Other labels include Private Member, Ultra Pink, Maaz, Storm, and, coming soon, Urban Decay make-up for eyes, lips, nails, hair and skin. So keep your eyes open for the late September launch!

What else?

Don’t worry guys, although men’s clothing and accessories are less abundant than women’s downtown, there are places for the discerning gentleman to shop. Places like the above mentioned Willy’s and Neon, as well as Richard Davis, Urban Trade, and the ubiquitous Gap all carry men’s clothing and accessories. For the thrift shop afficianado, try Phase 2 or Plum Loco for bargains on clothing for both genders.

———–
Alicia Cox is the self-appointed fashion editor of The Queen’s Journal. Style File will be appearing throughout the year in the Arts & Entertainment section.