World’s oldest hockey rivalry returns at Carr-Harris Cup

The Gaels take on the Paladins at the Leon’s Centre on Feb. 2 

Image by: Herbert Wang
The Cup is a 136 year old tradition.

Students are invited to watch the world’s oldest hockey rivalry on Feb. 2.

The Carr-Harris Cup will return after a two-year hiatus due to the pandemic. Although the recent games have been cancelled, the 136-year-old Kingston rivalry between the Gaels and RMC Paladins is alive and well.

“It’s a marquee game in U SPORTS Men’s Hockey that brings both universities together to celebrate our sport,” Queen’s Men’s Hockey Head Coach Brett Gibson said in a press release.

“The history and significance of the game from both universities cannot be overlooked. Alumni always remember their record in the Carr-Harris Cup, and they take great pride in hoisting this trophy.”

The RMC Men’s Hockey Head Coach Richard Lim shared a similar view.

“It’s an exciting matchup for both schools, and all the players and staff are honoured every year to carry on the history of the Carr-Harris Cup,” he said in a press release.

“As both schools look for playoff positioning […] I’m sure this year’s edition will be as exciting as ever, and we missed this fantastic event for the last two seasons.”

This year’s game will be a special celebration of the first complete post-pandemic hockey season, but it will also be a time to grieve and remember Stu Crawford, one of the founding members of this historic game and ex-Queen’s hockey player—who passed away in November. This game marks the first without him since he inaugurated the cup in 1986. 

In an interview with The Journal, Assistant Coach Patrick Sanvido, former Gael and two-time winner of the cup, shared what Crawford’s legacy means to the team.

“It’s just unbelievable to imagine someone that’s been around with a specific program for that long.”

“How proud he was to be a Queen’s Gael is what really stuck out to me; knowing he  played a role in this game gives you that extra bit of motivation.”

This game, however, is just the beginning of the legacy Crawford left at Queen’s.

“Our dressing room now is named after him […] he’s what Queen’s hocky epitomizes. I think it was like seven decades or six decades that he’s been involved with the Queen’s hockey program,” Sanvido explained.

This year, the Gaels will embody Crawford’s pride and love for the cup.

“It’s usually not an overly friendly game when we play RMC, so adding that little extra spice of the history and then on top of playing for the cup […] any time you are playing for some sort of trophy it brings out that little extra edge,” Sanvido said.

In the wake of this rivalry, the Gaels will need all the fan support they can get. 

“With the RMC fans, it’s awesome because they don’t let up,” Sanvido said.

“They are there yelling at you with signs up and one year the coach even got a beer dumped on him. […] it’s a pretty hectic environment.”

Queen’s students have two opportunities to collect free tickets: they can be one of the first 50 fans at the Memorial Centre  Men’s Hockey game on Jan. 25, or they can go to the ARC Q Services desk starting Jan. 25 until supplies last. If fans miss these opportunities for free tickets, tickets will be on sale at the ARC for five dollars. 

“It’s a rocking arena […] where anything can happen,” Sanvido said. “It has never mattered where RMC stood in the standings or where Queen’s stood in the standings. It’s always a hectic game and it’s just a lot of fun and we could really use the support from Queen’s students.”

Carr-Harris Cup, Hockey, Leon's Centre, Patrick Sanvido, RMC Paladins