Queen’s begins welcoming international students back to Kingston

Federal government eases travel restrictions for students at select institutions

Image by: Daniel Green
International students need to arrange their travel plans with Queen’s.

Following months of COVID-19 travel restrictions, Queen’s has begun welcoming international students back to Kingston.

The Canadian government began easing travel restrictions on Oct. 20 for international students at select learning institutions across the country. These institutions were required to have a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by their provincial or territorial governments before they could begin accepting international students. 

Nothing has changed for study permit holders who are already in Canada.

Queen’s was approved as a designated learning institution after engaging in consultations and assessments with the federal and provincial governments and local public health officials. 

Through this process, the University was able to form a COVID-19 readiness plan that met federal, provincial, and local public health standards.

READ MORE: Queen’s reports two new cases of COVID-19

The plan addresses different aspects of the return process, including how students will be safely transported to campus and how they will complete the required 14-day quarantine.

“[T]he [U]niversity will provide chartered coaches to transport arriving students from the airport to their quarantine location in Kingston,” the University wrote in a statement. 

“Queen’s has also arranged with local hotels to make quarantine accommodation packages available to arriving international students.” 

Queen’s also said it’s in direct communication with international students about the public health requirements and protocols for entering Canada, including the mandatory 14-day quarantine upon arrival. 

International students planning on returning to Kingston are required to arrange quarantine plans and discuss them with the University before travelling to Canada.

“They must also provide a negative COVID-19 test at the end of the quarantine period before entering the community. Queen’s will help facilitate the COVID-19 test near the end of the 14 days.”

READ MORE: Queen’s & KFL&A Public Health advocate for flu vaccine

While quarantining, international students will be contacted daily by Queen’s staff members to check on their physical and mental wellbeing. Contact will be made over the phone or through email.

Students will also have access to remote wellness services and virtual social engagement opportunities while they complete their quarantine.

“The [U]niversity is expecting a limited number of students to travel to Canada in the short term. To establish more precise numbers, the Queen’s University International Centre will be conducting a survey of all international students in the coming weeks.”

Though international students are now permitted to travel to Kingston, the University clarified students are not required to study from campus and will be able to complete their degree requirements if they remain outside of Canada.

The majority of campus operations will continue to be conducted remotely.

Covid-19, international students