Queen’s subcommittee to review Duncan Campbell Scott degree

New committee to determine whether degree should be revoked

Scott received an honorary degree in 1939.

This article discusses the atrocities committed in Residential Schools and may be triggering for some readers. Those seeking support may contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives and Reconciliation or Four Directions. For immediate assistance, the National Indian Residential School Crisis Hotline can be reached at 1-866-925-4419.

A subcommittee of Queen’s Senate has been formed to review the honorary degree of Duncan Campbell Scott.

Scott was a civil servant who oversaw the residential school system and acted as deputy superintendent of the Department of Indian Affairs during this time. The University awarded him an honorary LL.D. in 1939.

In January of 2022, Tayte Gossling, ArtSci ’22, started a petition to rescind Scott’s honorary degree.

The Senate subcommittee will evaluate if the degree is compliant with the Policy on Revocation of or Special Statements Concerning and Honorary Degree. It is composed of faculty, students, staff members, and alumni with backgrounds in Indigenous studies, English, and Law.

The University Historian, Secretary, and representatives from the Office of Indigenous Initiatives and the Human Rights and Equity Office will act as experts on non-voting matters.

Community members are welcome to participate and provide feedback to the subcommittee by directly contacting the subcommittee or completing an online survey.

committee, honorary degree, Indigenous, Queen's, Senate